I want to Thank You

I love when readers leave their comments! I really enjoy reading them! I do moderate all of them before they go up and wanted to let you know that those with my name, or my family members names will not be posted. I try to keep a modicum of anonymity on the net. You can just call me BigM, or refer to the kids as "A, BR or little J (A.K.A Biscuit)" thank you for understanding!


Me

Friday, November 6, 2009

Painting Stripes

I (finally) got the bathroom painted yesterday!! Woo hoo!!! It is called "Summer Camp". I thought that a light buttery yellow in a confined space would be nice. The color doesn't show up real well in pictures but I really like it in person. It calms me.....






After that, I spent half the day putting up tape for my stripe experiment in the kitchen. I put 1" stripes every 6". It was a tedious task to say the least! In a camper you have very little "open wall space" to work with, and the spaces that ARE there can be a bit hard to reach. I got it though. I was a bit nervous after taping thinking that it looked funny. But I told myself, "Maybe it's the tape."

So I put on the first coat of yellow paint and went to work on the bathroom a bit. When I came back I thought...

"Yeah, it must be the tape throwing it off. "

With a nervous look on my face and growing dread in a non-disclosed area of my stomach, I added a second coat saying, "I think I'll like it more with a second coat and the tape off. That tape sure is making it hard to 'see' it", and I went to finish the bathroom.

I worked on the bathroom a bit more, then returned to inspect my stripes. This was it... the big reveal... Checking that the stripe was mostly dry, I pulled off the first strip of tape... and then the second....

"Maybe it's the tape?" I thought nervously.

I removed more tape... "Please be the tape!?" The phrase started ringing in my head like church bells calling it's parishioners to service,

"The tape... please be the tape... it has to be the tape making it look wrong... the tape... please be the tape... it HAS to be the tape making it look wrong..."

as I frantically but slowly remove one strip after another. Finally... after what seemed an eternity... I had removed all of the tape.

"Groooaaannnn!!! It's not the tape!!!"

"Maybe if I step back and look at it??"

No such luck. The fact of the matter is that I spent half of my day painting what appear to be circus tent stripes on my kitchen walls only to discover.... I hate it...







So now I'm telling myself that maybe if I paint the window trim yellow and add some (real) curtains it will look ok?? Please??? I really do NOT want to paint over all that hard work and effort. I want to make it work. What do you think dear reader?? Do I paint over the circus stripes or make them work? How can I make them work?? I need your help!!

Yours on a tight rope,
Me

5 comments:

Laura said...

If the colors are showing up right on my monitor (always an adventure!), you have a soft mossy green with yellow stripes, yes? Do you like flowers? If you painted some flowers on the green part with the same yellow for the centers, I think it would pull together nicely. That's a whole different look than what you started, though, so I'm not sure it's what you want.

Or..what if you thinned the yellow down some and very lightly 'washed' over both colors to soften the differences a bit?

The yellow in the bathroom looks a lot like the soft, buttery yellow in Kitteninhat's bedroom. I love that color - very soothing and warm. :)

Tiffani C. said...

I think you should paint the window trim and cabinets white. The stripes are really cute. We painted our cabinets white and LOVED how they came out. It made our kitchen look much bigger as well.

BigM said...

Thanks for the ideas ladies! I'm toying with painting the window trim yellow and adding yellow curtains that have a vertical flower print on them. What do you think?


Me

Ella said...

It is all coming together. The more you do , the more things will just naturally fall into place. I really like the stripes.
Blessings, GG

Anonymous said...

You can totally work with that, my dear. If the stripes are what are ailing you, think about trailing some vines with colorful flowers on them. Yes, more work but it will be awesome in the end. And yes with some nice curtains and yellow trim it would bring it all together. It will be smashing!