I want to Thank You

I love when readers leave their comments! I really enjoy reading them! I do moderate all of them before they go up and wanted to let you know that those with my name, or my family members names will not be posted. I try to keep a modicum of anonymity on the net. You can just call me BigM, or refer to the kids as "A, BR or little J (A.K.A Biscuit)" thank you for understanding!


Me

Sunday, January 27, 2008

My Mother Earth Bread

The original recipe for this is called Mother Earth Bread. I have adjusted it quiet a bit to fit my needs, and this is that recipe...

In a small bowl you put in...
1 1/2 C Liquid (I use buttermilk, water or whey work, whey is better)
2/3 C rolled Oats
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 C honey
2 TBSP butter


If you can let it sit over night, is is better for you, but it isn't necessary.


After it sits (or you mix it) nuke it for a few seconds at a time until the liquid is warm to the touch, but not hot.














Stir in 1 TBSP yeast (one packet) and let iet it rest for about ten minutes, or until the yeast is bubbly (This is called proofing your yeast)








If you have a free standing mixer that is great! (If you don't, you will need to remove the jewelry from your hands and wrists and get hot!) Add your liquid mixture to your mixing bowl (or a large bowl), and 3 C unbleached or whole wheat flour (the WW is better with if you use buttermilk) Start to mixin'. Do not use any setting past 2 or 3, and you will want to use beater hooks, not regular beaters. I tried this with a hand mixer and regular beaters once... it was quiet a "shocking" experience!













Any way, when it is mixed, touch it. Is it sticky? If it is, and it probably is, sprinkle in some more flour, up to half a cup. Now mix it up with up with your hand. When it is mostly incorporated, stick the bowl back under the hooks and knead it for 5-10 minutes.








To knead dough by hand, set your timer...take the dough out of the bowl, and dump the flour that's left onto the table. Then you fold the dough in half, and smash it all together. Now pick it up and smack it down on the table and fold it the other way, and smash it some more. Keep it up until your timer goes off.

Now, pour a TBSP or so into a smallish bowl, add the dough, and turn it over and around so that it is lightly coated with oil. Cover it with a towel and set it on top of your stove. Turn your stove on to the "warm" position. Let it sit there until it doubles in size.


Now you can punch it so that it deflates, and squish it around a bunch. Shape it to fit your loaf pan. I use a Pampered Chef pan, but you can grease or butter up any pan you want. Yurn off the oven, set your bread in there uncovered, and wait about thirty minutes. After waiting, check its progress, and turn the oven up to 350 degrees. Bake it for 50 minutes and then remove it from the pan immediately to cool. Slice it anyway you want, thick, thin, or super thin (my fav).


No comments: