I want to Thank You

I love when readers leave their comments! I really enjoy reading them! I do moderate all of them before they go up and wanted to let you know that those with my name, or my family members names will not be posted. I try to keep a modicum of anonymity on the net. You can just call me BigM, or refer to the kids as "A, BR or little J (A.K.A Biscuit)" thank you for understanding!


Me

Friday, February 8, 2008

Home Made Yogurt

I must tell you that I got the origional recipe from My Measuring Stick (on the right)

INGREDIENTS:

-1/4 cup of store bought, active/live culture, plain yogurt. (This will be your starter. After your first batch of yogurt, you can use 1/2 cup of some of your homemade yogurt as a starter instead.)

-8 cups of whole milk, do not use ultra-pasteurized.

-3/4 Cups dry milk (optional, but it helps thicken your final product. *Thanks Jester)

-1 Cup of Sugar

-What ever frozen/fresh fruits you would like. I buy some fresh and freeze them myself (like bananas).

HOW TO MAKE DELICIOUS YOGURT

1. Pour the milk into a crock pot, and turn the crock pot on low. Leave it alone for two and a half hours.

2. Turn the crock pot off, leave the cover on, and let the milk sit for three hours.

3. Take a cup or two of the warm milk from the crock pot, and put it in a small mixing bowl. Mix in your starter, sugar and your dry milk.

4. Mix the yogurt/warm milk back into your crock pot.

5. Put the lid on the crock pot, then fold and put a heavy bath towel over the crock pot to insulate the leftover heat (leave the crock pot turned off), and go to bed.

6. The next morning, you'll have yogurt waiting for you in the crock pot.

7. Pour a 1/4 C (ish) into a separate container for your next batch, and put the rest in the fridge. You can split it up if you want to, but I just stick my whole crock pot in there. Let the yogurt fully cool down to the fridge temp. After it is nice and cold, ENJOY!!

8. I thaw frozen fruits and then mash them with a potato masher (or a fork). About 1 part fruit to 2 parts yogurt is really yummy!!


I love making my own yogurt! I get around 20 servings. A half gallon of milk costs me $1.88 so it maths out to about 10 cents plus fruit. And I know where it is coming from! WIN WIN For the BigM family!!

**Note: If you mess up somewhere, just start over! Don't waste your starter!!


Me

No comments: